View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
For Oregon, there's a 2-phased approach to voting....

I had always been against the votes counting differently - I think all the votes should count as 1 point - forget the percentages. It's been a point of contention in the association. The old timers and top echelon want to keep it the way it is because they benefit from it. But the up-and-comers see it as unfair. Who knows if it will ever change.

Camron can explain the process in more detail as to how the percentage for membership votes gets determined. That's it in a nutshell, though.
Smitty's description is right in concept....with minor, but insignificant, errors in the numbers.

As for the coaches votes....Basically, if 100 officials vote and 33 coaches vote, the weight is 3x to give the body of coaches the same total weight as the body of officials. In some years, an individual coach's vote has counted 4x the officials vote. This year, it was about 2x.

I've pushed hard over the years to minimize the overly powerful influence of thier vote....and the primary way that it has been accomplished is to get more inolvement from the coaches. We're having record numbers of coaches participate. That reduces the value of a single coach's vote relative to the peer vote. It als minimizes the effect of a rougue coach having a dramatic impact or, even more important, lessens the value of an official "working" coaches for votes. With more coaches voting, there is less room for a on official to successfully practice that sort of behavior.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 03:27pm.