View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 07, 2010, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

as I understand it, this appeal is a live ball appeal that requires the runner to be tagged out, IF the defense wants to appeal properly. the OP describes an improper way of appealing that play. the runner is assumed safe until a proper appeal is made.

doing nothing isn't calling TIME, it's doing "not a thing", ball remains live. but doing nothing doesn't always mean nothing when you are requested for a response, which is what a live ball appeal is, a request. when an appeal is requested, you are expected to do something, respond. the longer you do nothing, the more you are communicating "something" anyways. there's almost no way out of that conundrum.

you are arguing doing nothing is better than doing anything at all. I am saying, it doesn't matter as long as what you do or say assists neither side. a null response of "ball is LIVE" would then be as good as nothing, but at least you responded w/ something, which is expected, and as good and about as useful to either side as nothing.

I can't comment about hypothetical meteors. I don't have a clue about those in this context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If it is an improper appeal, how is their a call to make?

And if a meteor lands on the field, do you call time? Is a runner between bases advanced to the next base or return to the last touched?

How about umpiring in the manner as the respective sanctioning body instructs their umpire's to work? Or you can just continue to justify something that isn't correct. Whatever.

Last edited by shagpal; Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 12:47am.