View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Derock,

I'm not sure what position you hold on the play about tackling the pitchman and I'm not trying to start another debate on the play. I am simply hoping you are willing to learn.

Thought I would search the casebook for a play where the defense tackles a player who is not a runner and I found one. Here is the play:

Sit 9.2.3C
QB A1 drops back 15 yards and throws a legal forward pass intended for A2, who is 5 yards behind the neutral zone (My Note: We can't have P.I.). Before the pass reaches A2; (a) B1 tackles A2; or (b) B1 blocks A2.

Ruling:
In (a), tackling A2 is a foul,as it is a form of holding (emphasis mine). Defensive players are prohibited from grasping an opponent other than the runner . . . . (b) the Contact by B1 is not pass interference and, if the block itself is legal, there is no infraction (7-5-10).

Not exactly the play that was discussed earlier, but pretty close in principle. Do you still believe that is it okay to tackle a pitchman on an option play? I say, the defense can legally block the pitchman to tie him up, but they may not tackle him.

What say you on this?