View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
For you people that move wide and toward the endline when the ball is in the opposite corner....

How do you officiate the matchup (assuming there is one) on the opposite block?

It seems to me that often when the ball goes to the corner there is usally a big that flashes to the strong block or is already there and trying to establish position. This requires the T's attention as the L is wide and focused on the ball matchup. To me the only way to be able to officiate this matchup is to stay near to where the T needs to be to officiate the ball on the opposite wing. If the shot goes up from the corner the time that the ball is in the air is your chance to close down and get wide for the rebounding action.

Just my $.02.
I think it's a compromise, really. You can't just stay there (IMO), because if the ball comes into the post and he/she pivots away from the lead, both of you have a terrible look at it and you won't be able to get any position that quickly. The lead is in the corner and (since there's no C) the T has to have a look at it.

I don't officiate the post play the same as if the player has the ball. I will come wider and towards the endline and still look in to make sure there's no holding or no restriction, etc. but I can't ignore the rest of the court just to put 100% of the focus on the post players.

The over-riding thought: 2-person sucks. It's a series of compromises.