Thread: Face guarding
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Face guarding

BV I'm center helping bring the ball up the court and I think I see a player stick his hand right in another players face intentionally with no contact but 2" in front of the guy's nose (I was just turning my head and when I quickly looked back the offending hand was down about a foot so I told myself to watch that particular player to see if it happens again) I call a shooting foul about 10 seconds later and after I report the coach quietly says to me, "face guarding is illegal, you need to T that #22." I told the coach I would watch for it. I went over to one of my senior partners and told him to watch for it too. He told me to go tell the other coach that he had a player that was face guarding and we would be calling it if we saw it. I go tell the other coach(23 years old) and he says, "what do you mean face guarding is illegal? it wasn't that way when I played. How long has that rule been in effect? Senior reff hears the conversation and comes over and says its been around a long time. Coach tells player to knock it off. How many times a year do other reffs call this? I've only seen it twice and never called it myself. I feel bad I missed it in this last game.