View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
It absolutely sucks. I didn't realize it until this year how bad it sucks. I moved from a 2-man state to a 3-man state and fell in love with 3-man as soon as I figured it out. Then was mis-assigned a JV game (so they only assigned 2-man) that ended up being a varsity game. It was then I realized how much we were probably missing and wouldn't have if that 3rd guy was there.

In the OP, I still tend to stay deeper onto the court as a skip pass from one side all the way to the other is a lower percentage option than something closer to the paint. But if everyone is spread out, I may move closer to where you describe. It is difficult to give an all purpose answer to this because it all just depends on what the players are doing - that is what determines where I am to get the best angle on what I'm looking at.
I agree. If those post players are banging each other, I'm not moving. It depends on the activity. I just go where I'm needed -- I've been doing a "3-person rotation" a lot this year when the floor is not balanced and I feel my services are more needed over there.

Matter of fact (and this is the 3-person influence) there are times I'm the lead on ball where I have to force myself away from the post play in order to get the ball matchup. Going from 3 one night to 2 the next and back to 3 isn't the hardest thing in the world, but I'll need to remind myself to get out in the corner once in a while and there was one ball that probably got out on my partner last week when his eyes never left the post (nobody really complained and we kept right on going).

I can already point at 3-4 games on my schedule that could really use 3 officials but we simply don't have them. Oh, well.