View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
It really depends on where the rest of the players are and what they are doing. In many cases, when an offensive player is in the corner on the lead's side, you will have the post player trying to get in position to receive a pass on the far block from your primary, facing the player with the ball. You need to watch this post play since the lead is focused on the player with the ball. If there's a quick pass to the post, as trail, you need to see this play. So I would argue there may be a very good reason to stay deeper onto the court, up above the key to get the best look. It just depends where the other players are and what's happening. I will worry about the rebound action when a shot goes up. Prior to that I am looking at the most significant off-ball matchups and I will position myself wherever I need to be to best see that.
I see this, but I also know that if I'm the lead on ball here, I'm doing my best to get an angle to help on the post play, as well.

As the trail, I'm not taking my focus off here, but I'm not going to stay across so I can look straight down into the post, either. I'll look as I'm sliding a bit back towards the sideline. I'm guessing that in practice we're not that different.

Let's face it -- in 2010, 2-person sucks, especially at the varsity level. It's a lot of doing the best you can. It's unfortunate that around here the coaches and ADs don't understand what they lose by not having 2 officials ball-side.