View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You keep looking as you move, but I disagree -- you *have* to keep your mind on what might happen, too.

(You aren't getting that position across the court, though, for any other reason but being on ball.)

The position back near the sideline is better for weak side rebounding and also in case there's basket interference and/or goaltending -- making those types of calls from the top of the key is going to be difficult. Also, if there's a quick skip pass over there, the T has sideline responsibility, 3-point shot responsibility, etc.

I don't see it as giving up position -- I see it as getting a better one now that the trail doesn't have on-ball responsibilities anymore. Once the ball pops out, a few quick steps puts you right back in to position.

It really depends on where the rest of the players are and what they are doing. In many cases, when an offensive player is in the corner on the lead's side, you will have the post player trying to get in position to receive a pass on the far block from your primary, facing the player with the ball. You need to watch this post play since the lead is focused on the player with the ball. If there's a quick pass to the post, as trail, you need to see this play. So I would argue there may be a very good reason to stay deeper onto the court, up above the key to get the best look. It just depends where the other players are and what's happening. I will worry about the rebound action when a shot goes up. Prior to that I am looking at the most significant off-ball matchups and I will position myself wherever I need to be to best see that.