View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 08:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown View Post
When the ball goes into L's corner, why would you move toward the opposite sideline like a C? If you've followed the play to that point, why give up your position? You're in the middle of the court, and can help out with weak side and strong side rebounding, you can watch the paint for 3 second violations, illegal screns, etc. All while your partner is on-ball.

And "What if there is a fast break?" Stand still. The players will go around you.

Your immediate attention should be on what is happening, not what might happen.
You keep looking as you move, but I disagree -- you *have* to keep your mind on what might happen, too.

(You aren't getting that position across the court, though, for any other reason but being on ball.)

The position back near the sideline is better for weak side rebounding and also in case there's basket interference and/or goaltending -- making those types of calls from the top of the key is going to be difficult. Also, if there's a quick skip pass over there, the T has sideline responsibility, 3-point shot responsibility, etc.

I don't see it as giving up position -- I see it as getting a better one now that the trail doesn't have on-ball responsibilities anymore. Once the ball pops out, a few quick steps puts you right back in to position.