View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 01:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

22 years, 1 blarge

It happened last night. Juco men.

I'm lead, middle of the lane, obvious (well, to me anyway) block. Triple whistle. Fist. It was deep enough in the lane to definitely be the lead's first get. Just as I say block, I hear "OFFENSE". I hadn't even given a preliminary signal at that point and never did.

While the trail was in the shower, I asked the C the important question: What did you have? He said it was a no-brainer block and the T simply pointed the other way. I then asked who should've taken that and he said "definitely you."

If I had just kept my mouth shut, we would've avoided the blarge, but it would've been a horribly wrong call. Hey, we all miss one.

The coach wasn't thrilled. I could hear him talking with the C as we went to the table and reported the double foul and he said "I know that's the rule, but that's the lead's call all the way." He actually sounded like an official when he complained.

So I've been thinking about this on a different level this morning: Is it worse to have a blarge or to have a completely wrong call stand up simply to avoid a blarge?

Well, it was a good lesson and we only had about 25 people see it. Another chance tonight.