View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Is the only "path" for a player the direction they are facing? Is a post player "backing down" a defender not moving in a direction other than what they are facing? I a guard who slices laterally not going in a path to the side?

It's a somewhat silly conversation at this point as I had a bad description in my initial post and I completely understand the point you are making. That said, since "path" is not defined as only the direction a player's torso is facing (it would be stupid to define it that way) I am perfectly happy with my judgment that the path a player is taking may or may not be the direction they are facing.
This entire arugment about path is really moot. You can make an argument just for arguments sake that B1, who is at A1's side (with A1 stationary or moving away from B1), is not in the "path" of A1....but why?

The only way it even matters is if there is contact. If there is contact, either B1 is moving towards A1 or A1 is moving towards B1 (both is also a possibility but it is the same as only B1 moving towards A1) otherwise there will be no contact and LPG is irrelevant.

If B1 is moving towards A1, B1 doesn't have LGP in any case (in the path or not) so the definition of path doesn't matter.

If A1 is moving towards B1, that measn A1 will have created a path towards B1. So, B1 will, by simple logic, be in the path of A1 anytime there is contact where B1 is not moving towards A1.

(Noting the requirements regarding LGP vs an airborne opponent).