View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Having been an official, and now a coach, I want to know that I am heard. What I mean by that, If i ask a question, I just want an answer. I do not talk much to the officials to begin with. But I have noticed here in our area, our newer officials are being taught to ignore coaches. I think this is going down a bad road. We have all seen the coaches that act up and not punished.
I can speak from experience that newer officials are better off NOt talking a lot to coaches. Until they get comfortable dealing with the game on the court the side bars do a couple things. First they distract them as they are not yet adept to managing many things on the fly. Secondly Their fuses are either lighting quick or non existent. either way these are 2 extremes that do not help in building coach/official relations.

I think it takes at least 2-3 years for an official to be able to comfortably talk with coaches/players and just be themselves. I can say the hardest thing when I started was while there was action a coach was on me complaining/questioning what just happened. Now I can have a lengthy conversation with both coach, while officiating and sipping a frappucino.