Thread: Short Memories
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 12:35pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
VB tonight. Visitors won a close game. Immediately after the game, as we were leaving the gym, we heard a yell from behind, and saw a visiting player running to catch us. He addressed me. "Mr. Ref, the coach wants to know what your name is." I was leery. "Uh, why?" "He said he thinks you did a good job." "Oh, ok, thanks." I told the kid my name. Funny thing is, the only other time I called a game for this coach, late last year, he told me at one point "You should be ashamed of yourself."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This girl wouldn't have been able to catch me. I'm assuming her coach had time to tell her to go get the ref's name; by the time she left the bench area, I'd have been off the court. If caught, I'm still not sure I'd have given my name. "Tell your coach that he can get my name from the AD."
It wasn't a girl, it was a guy. They run faster. Several minutes had passed. We had gone to the office to retrieve jackets, and were leaving the building. I really think the coach liked the calling, based on his actions during the game. I haven't seen this guy a lot, but I don't think of him as being a happy guy. I probably would have given my name either way. No big deal.

Lonesome Dove