View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

I meant that over the long haul...several seasons. I seen posts here, where officials ask the question (I'm paraphrasing)..."did I/we get this right?" Most of the time, these involve complex situations...not something as simple as what my two P's erred on.
But et me make something quite clear, these are two very good officials who I respect. That they made an error does not make them a poor or incompetent referee. It just means they're human...like all of us. Maybe they had a tough day, got lackadaisical in their thinking, were just too quick, I don't know...but it happened.
What did I learn as a newbie:
1) Stuff like this has happened to me in my first two years, and I kick my butt when I boot a rule application. But one thing I've learned in my 2 years here from the vets...Learn from it and move on. you probably will never make the same mistake again. its part of the process. We've all been through it." I realize that it can happen to any ref at any time no matter what their experience....so always take your time and think things through.
2) Some of the rules are finally starting to stay in my head. That I actually knew what my P's said was incorrect, (to me) is a big step in my development.
3) That I have to learn the an effective way to work with an experienced P to get a sitch right, if there is something amiss. I mean I'm getting paid the same fee by the school to officiate the game just like my P. We're partners. We have to get it right. I need to learn to speak up on something like this in the dressing room either at half time or during our post game. I guess I'm still too much in awe of a partner with a patch, as I'm still working toward earning mine.