Thread: Illegal court
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
The Vernonia gym is one of my favorites. I loved going there because it was just a cool little town that hasn't seemed to progress from the 50's. Nothing to do there so everyone watches the games on Friday nights. But the gym is tiny and the endlines give you no room at all.

Side note - my favorite non-basketball moment happened in Vernonia. Lots of schools have a raffle where you win some cash prize or something at halftime for having the winning ticket. Well, one night in Vernonia, the raffle prize was a half a hog. I knew I wasn't in the big city anymore...
Vernonia is better since the building had to be gutted after the flood - protruding arch on the stage is gone, so now there is at least room on that end - other end is still tight, but workable. I agree, it's a great atmosphere!.

Westside does take a little getting used to. The main thing is be safe and don't hesitate to be proactive. When I've work there, I let the coaches know that if the action gets too close in the corners and looks in any way unsafe, we'll stop play and resume with a POI throw-in.

There's another small private HS gym in Milwaukie that's very tight. One end line is only 18" from the wall, there's virtually no clearance between the table and team benches on one sideline, aluminum bleachers on opposite side line come right up to the line.......only the one end line has at least 3 foot clearance.