View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Mark

and when someone asks you "show me in the rules" you cant do it. We tell them it was a note or comment from some 3, or 5 or 8 years ago? No way!

We as officials are constantly on coaches and fans for not knowing the rules. We laugh about rule myths, we laugh how things get perpetuated... And you suggest the same thing Yet now we say well it's not there now but it was so it has the effect because they never rewrote the comment. That sells like a lead balloon.

Try telling this to a new official... Oh it's not in the current rulebook they sent you. It's not in the casebook, It's not in the Simplified Book, It's not in the official's Manual, and it's not in the basketball handbook, but you need to go back and find every rule book, casebook, etc since Naismith invented the game so that you know all the rulings. And when a coach asks where is that in the rules you can quickly reply that it was in the 1967 Casebook. Oh yeah sell that!

The bottom line in this circumstance there are two choices an official can take...

1) It is not specifically prohibited by rule so we can allow it.

OR

2) It is not specifically allowed by rule so we arent going to do it.

If this is a sixth grade game yes. A varsity game probably not.

BTW in the above post you mentioned either captain.... The NCAA rule listed in the posts is specific to the captain of the opposing team... So if A subs 3 or more under NCAA rules, the captain of B can ask for locating help of the ntering players. I dont think that necessarily means a line up... Player ... "Ref who just came in the ball game there were lots of subs" Referee. "Stop take a second a find all five players... Youve got 30, 23, 45, 52, and 5" out on the floor Got them... Good let's play"!

Take em' to mid court and have them line up Nah, I dont think so!

Just my two cents worth