View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
The main reason officials are out of position is because they can't keep up with the speed of play. A lot of these officials, if they were judged solely on their positioning, play calling, and fitness, would be long gone. For whatever reason supervisors are scared to put people on the floor that can do those things better because they don't have the reputation of these older officials.

Great comment. I agree 100%. They don't want to take the guy out who has 30 years in the game who cant get up the court well at all, compared to a guy with 10 years and a lot of younger years. Some guys are not being evaluated by their fitness, position, ect as someone stated above from what I have seen. I've seen Bruce Benedict call many horrible games at Gardner Webb and also SEC from being to slow and out of position. And he is still in with both conferences? He is a terrific guy though

Quote:
As for baseball, it shouldn't be too difficult to have an immediate indicator that precisely and accurately determines if the ball was over the plate or not (and not too high or low)...to a far greater accuracy than is humanly possible.
Definately agree that technology has better accuracy than humans, but the game isn't played by robots. If it were I wouldnt have a problem with making the whole game a technological one where robots are umpiring and officiating. However, it is played by humans as it has been for 100's of years and why not use judgement of humans even if we might miss a few here and there as we always have. I do like the replay they have in baseball now, but wouldn't like to see the indicator behind the plate. Its always fun to see Bobby Cox waddle out to the field and give his 2 cents

Last edited by CDurham; Mon Feb 01, 2010 at 02:41pm.