View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox 40 Deaf View Post
I read somewhere where they are creating a behind the plate umpire computer thing where it automaticly reads balls and strikes. This to me is absurd, it takes the fun out of the game. A great deal of calls by officials are judgement calls and it should stay this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Funniest and stupidest thing I've ever heard of. That just makes the game a technological one. Next thing we know we will have robots officiating basketball and umpiring baseball.
There are things that are facts and their are things that are judgement. In baseball, a ball crossing the plate or not is really a fact. The only judgement is that we currently depend on a human to decide if a small, 90+ mph ball crossed over a relatively small area from a point of view that is less than ideal to do so as compared to what could be done. The fact is that there are simply some things that technology does better than people....sometimes as a tool for people.

Instant replay in college football is just about perfect....and that has only come about as the technology to support it has matured. Sure, it is viewed by a person, but it uses technology to make it possible.

Replays for basektball are less than perfect as they interfere with the game too much. The flow of game just doesn't lend itself to the types of replays that are now being utilized (3-points or not).

As for baseball, it shouldn't be too difficult to have an immediate indicator that precisely and accurately determines if the ball was over the plate or not (and not too high or low)...to a far greater accuracy than is humanly possible.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 01, 2010 at 12:23pm.