View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

How should a newbie handle this?

In each of my two most recent HSJV games (2 man) I worked with experienced IABBO board referees. Good refs, good partners, both were very helpful to me before, during, and after the game. Both games went well, no major problems. Not getting to work often with board certified refs, these two games were a great experience for me.
As a newbie, my M/O with experienced officials is to keep my ears open, my mouth shut, hold up my end on the court, listen to whatever advice/tips etc. are offered.
My question is what do you do when your experienced P misapplies a rule?

Game 1-Team A had a player enter the game who was not listed in the book when it was checked at the 10:00 mark prior to the start of the game. P called it a Bench Technical (as opposed to an Administrative Technical) and with it, charged Team A HC with an indirect tech.

Game 2- I'm L and called an intentional foul on Team A. We switch after I report foul, when Team B finished shooting the free throws, P tosses me the ball and says "division line throw in". I know on an intentional foul the throw-in is suppose to be from the spot nearest the foul (end line under B's basket in this case).

In the Game 2 sitch, I did not want to question my P on the court and went with what he told me to do. In Game 1 sitch, I asked P about the sitch (I was confused, and thought that maybe I had missed something), and when I (respectfully) asked..."why was the HC charged with an indirect T on what was an administrative issue", P said that because it happened during the gamer it's a bench technical. I just said..."Oh, OK." I wasn't about to take out my books to see who was right....I didn't feel it was my place as a non-certified newbie to do that with a vet.

This is not about who's right/who's wrong. Nor is it a "gotcha" moment. Plus it's not like I'm a rules expert. I've learned here on the board that we all misapply rules from time to time, no matter how experienced an official someone might be. I'm still trying to learn....so how should I have addressed these sitchs with my partners? Or was just letting it go and learning from their mistake/error the better way to go.