View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Geeze, let me look at the options:
1) review a 3-pointer that I'm not sure of and get the call right.
2) guess at a call that has to be made even though I'm not sure and then hope that I do get it right.

Hmmmmmmm.......tough decision knowing that my boss is gonna be looking at the tape no matter what.

Jmo but I think that you'd have to be an idiot not to go to the monitor.
I understand your stance. But the games I watched (totaling around 4) was that some officials were out of position or looking somewhere where they shouldnt. Obviously I have not watched every game where the monitor was used, but the 4 I saw the officials took up too much time. Most of the instances were pretty outright 3's and I want to get the call right as does every official, however I think going to the monitor when its not even close is getting ridiculous and like TIO said the NFL goes to the monitor too much. Basketball will be the same soon. It takes away from the momentum. Let a coach call a timeout and request the officials go to the monitor, but don't stop play dead right at the moment.

Yeah we make human errors as officials and for the past (2002-2003 was first for NBA not sure for NCAA) years we have not used the monitor. It made the game fun knowing that the officials had to be on their game just like the players. Just seems to me that they should implement a system where a coach can call a timeout to request that the officials review the 3 to rule whether it was a 3 or 2 pointer. If its upheld or over ruled charge the timeout and resume play as normal.