View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Injuries...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Perhaps, and it's his own fault if he does hurt himself.
Seth - Same here with our Men's league. Most of them wear jewelry of one kind or another. Now, in ASA SP "jewelry don't play." We've discussed this at-length during our association meetings. We've come to the conclusion that players KNOW jewelry is prohibited and IF THEY CHOOSE to wear jewelry, then they accept the risk of injury. It is unfortunate, but you have to be "litigation conscious" these days when you take the field.
I had one 3 years ago. We're playing and the storm clouds are moving in. I saw a bolt of lightning and got the players off the field. We're in a delay and one player comes up to me and says: "Are you an umpire or a f**king weatherman?" I looked him straight in the eyes and said: "I am an umpire who is responsible for YOUR safety and as long as lightning is in the area, WE ARE NOT PLAYING. I probably should have ejected him for that comment, but I didn't. We ended up getting rained out.

Last edited by Stevetheump; Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 08:18pm. Reason: add MEN's league to the first paragraph.