View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
It's impossible to me based on your description to comment. What may have happened was she felt the foul and attempted to 'sell' an attempted shot with a late follow through after the whistle. If you were in locker room during my halftime and asked me 'why wasn't that a shooting foul' I wouldn't be happy. You sound like the coach for pete's sake.
Why would you be upset if a fellow official asks you a question as such? Its between you and a fellow official. Explain it to him, especially if they might learn something.

And sometimes I watch an official make a call that is so out of left field I love to ask them what they saw on that and why they went one way versus another.

Besides his explanation is a bit weak. Its not our place to judge what is possible or not. We are there to judge the action as it seems fit. Whether a player can or cannot make a shot is of no consequence. It might have been a hail mary attempt but hey, its still an attempt. And if I work with a partner who has that kind of attitude I sure as hell would be upset because I feel as though its a disservice to the game and to officiating.

Was a player making an attempt to put up a shot? That is the only question that needs to be answered. Your feelings on whether a shot is a good one or not has no bearing and I do believe that this type of personal intergection is a big cause for officiating being so subjective in certain situations when it need not be. (end rant)