View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I'm a little vague about where the line is drawn on what constitutes "throwing someone under the bus."
the line is right where you say or imply or strongly hint that you were trying to "rescue" the game from the partners. Even to try to take the blame is just backhanded slamming.

Quote:
Years ago, I was watching a game as a spectator when an intentional foul was called on a made basket. Officials awarded 3 free throws, "one for the foul, two for the intentional." This struck several people in the crowd as wrong. Some of the people asked me.

"Was that right?"

How do you defend this?

"No, they made a mistake." And I quoted the correct ruling.

Some here said that I had stabbed the officials on the court in the back. I said I think not, but to each his own.
"I'm not sure we saw the whole situation." "Those guys are pretty respected, I expect they know what they're doing" "Howard is our rules guy for all the little details. you'll have to ask him." "Sorry, I was talking on the phone" "Oh, I wasn't watching. Have you seen a red cap laying here somewhere?"

Quote:
In the case at hand, the fact that I did extend my area and made so many calls was obvious and undeniable. We were not totally on the same page.
And what did you do in pre-game to get on the same page, and to be on the same page? I mean, in that game, knowing this new guy hadn't done 3-whistle before, you might have added a lot to his learning by really bending over backward to see that he DID call a few fouls and that they were good calls. End of the first quarter, if he's still pretty overwhelmed, you say okay, let's lock down in positions and just focus on the action, or give him carte blanche to call all over the floor. "I don't care where the next foul happens, it's your whistle". This is the kind of stuff I've experienced at 3-whistle camps for beginners and it really helps a lot to get over that first big barrier.
Quote:
Does this reflect negatively on me or them? Like so many things, it depends on who you ask. The crowd was mainly on me. "THAT GUY is killing us." The coach took swipes at both during the game.
I made a call for him. "Can't somebody else call a foul?"
I made a call against him. "That's not your call."
The crowd is mainly on you, but that's only because they don't understand, and you can't use it as a gauge. When one of you looks bad, you all look bad.
In order to look better yourself, and to not be in the position of trying to decide what to say to a coach later, you have to be more pro-active during the game to make it better.

Also, if you really think of it as "one for all and all for one" you are so embarrassed when you see that coach, that you just wave and walk out. Don't even want to explain.
Quote:
If anything I said or did before, during, or after this game can be considered throwing anyone under anything, feel free to throw me with them.
Nah, you did it to yourself. We don't need to. Just learn your lesson, as we all should do when we err, and don't do it again.