View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Tongu Stud part 2...

What if the offensive player was wearing a tongue stud and the defensive player was wearing jewelry under their wristband and lying about it? What would you have then? Now back to the point. It is a held ball if the official calls it a held ball. Whether they are right or wrong is another matter. In the ORIGINAL case as stated, it is only a held ball if the both players have such a firm hold on the ball that they can't get it away wihout unde roughness. Period. How you define that is ann interpretation and will vary from one to the next. That is why thye don't officiate with a computer, it is an interpretation. That being said, I say just becuase a set shot is prevented form being released, does not constitute an automatic jump ball. I believe Hawk's Coach is correct (That's a first for me!) in that it applies to an airborne shooter because otherwise it would be a travel call. Personally, I don't call many held balls and I despise the occasional partner who calls one from across the court when it is right in front of me. I think the held ball is called to quickly, especially in younger games. It breaks up the flow and rewards reaching at the younger ages.

Mregor