View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 01:45am
We don't rent pigs

Let's just say it was an experience. Girls game was a blowout, very easy. Boys game was hotly contested the whole way, biggest lead was 10. Home trailed the whole game, cut it to 2, but couldn't pull it out. Early in the second half, after a couple of trips which resembled a pinball machine, I realized that I was going to have to expand my coverage area somewhat. After that, we (mostly I) regained what I considered an acceptable level of control. Home coach is, uh, quite excitable even when he's ahead, and tonight he was over the edge a bit. Whacked him late third quarter. Lots of fouls down the stretch. I'm guessing I called roughly 75% of them, one partner 18%, the other guy..............didn't call very many. In retrospect, I feel like I did what I had to do, but one always wonders if it was too much when forced out of the ordinary.

As if all that wasn't enough, we had (you're not gonna believe this) an inexperienced timekeeper tonight, who stopped and started the clock incorrectly several times, further complicated by one time when the clock "stuck" and simply wouldn't work until it was reset.

When we ran off at the end, some of the fans threw money at us. I got all excited and gathered some up, but it turned out to be counterfeit. Thirteen dollar bills with Mark Padgett's picture on them.

Okay, I made that last part up, but the rest is true, to the best of my recollection.

Finally, I talked to another of our association guys on the way home, and it turns out that he and his partner heard the 4th quarter of our game on the radio. Announcers apparently made repeated reference to "one official making all the calls" and at one point said "he called that foul from seventy feet away." But I was pleased to hear that one of these home town guys said that the officiating did not affect the game and that the visitors simply outplayed the home team, executed a better game plan, and seemed to want it more.

THE END

until tomorrow when the home coach calls the assignor and the assignor calls me (maybe)

Lonesome Dove