View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
[/B]
I think it is a huge stretch to say that a defender placing a hand on the ball causes the offensive player to lose player control. [/B][/QUOTE]
You are completely off the original case, where a shot or a pass attempt is pushed back at the offensive player. Tony has been trying to argue that you could apply the first part of the held ball rule to this specific situation. I do not argue that there is never a time when the ball can get pinned by one hand - just that the blocked set shot and blocked pass is not one of those times where you can invoke the first held ball provision. I agree completely with calling the held ball in the case you cite.

I am merely trying to make the point that the blocked shot attempt when a shooter is airborn and returns to the floor is a very specific situation covered by rule that has nothing to do with the first, and most commonly invoked, held ball provision. [/B][/QUOTE]Coach,we do agree on the last point that you wrote above.
Now,quoting Nevada who said "but if one player is holding the ball and an opponent simply puts a hand on the ball,only the first player has control",my points still are:
1)If,in the official's opinion,the opponent puts his one hand on the ball so that the player originally holding the ball cannot shoot,dribble,pass or wind his watch,then you have to call a held ball.
2)With regards to your 1st. statement above,I'm also saying that a defensive player placing one hand on the ball could POSSIBLY cause the offensive player to lose solitary player control.That's up to the opinion of the official.That's why I quoted those different situations-to try and point out that fact.That's also why I agreed with Tony that you use the first part of the definition.It's all-purpose language,and it's the only language that we have available to us to use(including having to use it in those other situations that I cited).