View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

OK, I'm new here so if this topic has been discussed, I apologize.

A situation occured in a playoff game I attended but did not work. I'll post the question without telling what the crew did at this point because I want responses based on interpretation, not people trying to back the crew, although about half the officials I talk to say they did it right, and half say they did it wrong. I find no support in the NFHS rule book to say one way or the other.

The question is this, when is the clock considered stopped after a requested time out?

Actual play:

Team A has the ball, down 7, in last seconds of the game with one time out left. QB rolls right. Ref follows play. QB is sacked and turns quickly to ask for the TO. Ref, by coincidence of his positioning, has QB and game clock in same line of sight and sees the request is given with tenths of a second on the clock, but of course they tick off before he can turn, give signal and get the clock stopped.

Like most high schools, there is only one clock and it's behind one end zone. If the team had been going the other way, the Ref would nothave been able to see the TO and clock.

At no other time do we consider the time elapsed in the delay of request to signal to stoppage an issue.

But if an incomplete pass hits the ground and an official knows there was time left, I think we'd agree that another play should be awarded. Is this the same sort of thing?

Is the game over?