View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

First off, thanks for all the comments and different ideas.

Second, to clear up how GM works in this area, most of you have already confirmed what happens when you get GM invovled. They usually question what you are doing, then get "scared" to carry out the ejection, and find some way to try and smooth over the situation with a fan that simply needs to be removed. So, yes after I pointed out the fan that needed to leave, GM did get involved. However, when I have weak GM that won't do as they are told, I just don't start the game. At that point both the fan and GM become embarrassed and the fan ends up leaving because everyone in the gym/field knows why the game is being held up.

Third, I really didn't want to go into details of what this particular fan was saying, but since you asked, calling me and my partner by name and yelling that we are cheaters, continually asking for fouls and violations, screaming about 3 seconds while a shot is in the air, begging for a back court call when the player is stradling the line and generally inciting the other fans around him to become boisterous. Obviously, my name and cheater in the same sentence are what caught my attention and prompted the ejection.

Finally, last year our area took a real hard stance on fan behavior and ejected quite a few fans over the course of the season. Again, as most of you have already pointed out, fan behavior improved dramatically in our area, but as this season progresses, and we don't stay vigilant with those offenders, the behavior is slipping back to the old ways. I agree that there is a fine line between a hard-a** and a push over, but I have found that coach/player/fan behavior can be handled in a professional manner without being labeled a JERK. I have also found that when you do handle people professionally, they gain a greater respect for you (or maybe it is just good old fear).