Thread: Ball Foul?
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Your situation is a bit different, however. Frankly, if your friend thinks the defender did it on purpose, he has to choose between an intentional personal or an unsporting technical; depending on whether you think purposeful ball on player contact can be considered a personal foul.
Purposely contacting the ball is what every player has a right to do. Another option is no foul at all. I would never penalize a defender who does not have control of the ball, but by being able to get his hand or hands on the ball is able to exhibit enough force to knock the opponent to the floor. That play is perfectly legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Ok, let's apply the standard play:
A1 with the ball gets fed up with B1 being "too close" and uses the ball to shove him away. Call? I'm not arguing here. Although I lean towards allowing for a personal foul here, I'm not married to the idea.
This play is different from the one above because the offense player has control of the ball and is using it to strike the opponent. I deem that action a technical foul.

PS Yes, I am in the camp which believes that a personal foul can only result from physical contact between the bodies of two opposing players.