View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 07:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Here are my opinions:
1. The 3-person system is superior to the 2-person system, if done correctly. There is no question about that.
2. The 3-person system requires three strong officials, not 2 varsity guys and someone who really should be working JV. If the area doesn't have enough quality officials to staff the games adequately for 3-person, then it should just use 2.
4. I don't believe that the HS game really warrants 3. The college game does. The bigger court, bigger players, faster action, and longer game length all justify it.
5. I'm in a state that currently uses 3 for all varsity games on both the boys and girls sides. I wish that we would revert to 2.
1. I completely agree.

2. I do not agree for this reason. It is not uncommon to get someone that has not worked 3 Person on a crew or is not as "veteran" as we would like. The bottom line is if the officials work together you can have success. You do not necessarily need three of the strongest officials to work in my opinion. Many newer officials have a lot of 3 Person experience, but have very little overall officiating experience. And you might have a veteran that knows the game, but knows little about 3 Person and they are ineffective. You just need three people that work together and you can handle a 3 Person game easily in a high school setting.

4. I will only say with the style of play you see with many schools and the screens and off ball activity, I do not agree that we could use 2 Person and be effective. I think 2 Person might have worked at one time, but with the 3 point shots and players of all sizes and shapes going to the basket and the short 10-15 foot shoot out of the game, 3 Person is the only way to go. The players at the high school level are bigger and faster than they have ever been, and if you are working games where the kids are college players, I do not see how you can do well consistently in a 2 Person venue.

5. My state has been using 3 Person in the post season since 97-98 and I do not see how they ever had it any other way. Of course there were some growing pains earlier, but now everyone is on the same page that you hardly have to even talk about things you did even 5 years ago. Now I can work with just about anyone in a 3 Person system and they will do many basic things that you did not see early on. Not to say that there are not people that cannot work, but 2 Person would just be too hard for most of us considering that we would have to make more calls individually and often not see those calls the same way.

The only reason I see the benefit of keeping 2 Person at the high school level is a financial situation. But if schools can afford it, all high school games should be 3 Person and certainly the varsity.

Peace