View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 11:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If they didn't see her leave, but only saw her return that poses a problem.

The officials can only call what they observe, so they would have to follow this case play:
10.3.2 SITUATION B: After a lengthy substitution process involving multiple
substitutions for both Team A and Team B, A5 goes to the bench and remains
there, mistakenly believing he/she has been replaced. The ball is put in play even
though Team A has only four players on the court. Team A is bringing the ball into
A’s frontcourt when the coach of Team A realizes they have only four players. The
coach yells for A5 to return and he/she sprints directly onto the court and catches
up with the play. RULING: No technical foul is charged to A5. A5’s return to
the court was not deceitful, nor did it provide A5 an unfair positioning advantage
on the court.
That's the other play I quoted.

Of course, the problem there is that the crew knows they started with 5 and one left undetected.

I see 2 options, and you've mentioned both:

(1) Charge the violation once you realize that the player left unauthorized and returned.

(2) Use 10.3.2 situation B.

I lean towards B.

I don't lean towards the technical foul the crew charged. Like I told my friend, the A player that left when returning was not a substitute, so the rules about reporting and beckoning simply do not apply. When he called and asked my opinion, I went right for 10.3.2 B and said that either it's that or a violation for unauthorized leaving the court.

Last edited by Rich; Sat Jan 23, 2010 at 11:06pm.