Thread: The Spin Move
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I searched for previous threads on this topic but I came up empty. I apologize if it's been debated already.

In the past couple weeks I have watched multiple NCAA games. With the benefit of a DVR with pause/rewind function, I have been analyzing the spin move. In the vast majority of instances (I'd say 10 out of 12), it is CLEARLY a travel. The other two were inconclusive due to traffic in the lane. The key obviously is finding and watching what happens with the pivot foot. My interest in this move resulted from a recent game of mine where I whistled a B-V player THREE times for traveling while attempting spin moves. Coach claimed nobody whistled the kid all season for it, and I believe him. Therein lies my frustration. Very few of my peers seem to be calling it. Very few NCAA D1 officials seem to call it.

Am I on an island here? Should I just lay off and go with the flow?

I welcome all opinions.
I feel like I'm on an island too from my chapter, with a few other officials. Some officials just would not call this, even if in plain sight. Yet I get all of the grief from coaches when I call it, and it was clearly a travel.