Thread: Straight-lined
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

I generally work on the same basis: If I don't see it, I cannot call it. On a few occasions when I have made a call because I'm certain "something" must have happened, at least half the time I've been spectacularly wrong.

While we certainly don't want to get straight-lined, unless you can "anticipate the next play", it's hard to never get straight-lined. However, if the drag of the pivot foot was significant, you should have been able to pick that up with your depth perception. If you were looking at her feet, and you didn't detect movement, there probably wasn't much.

It's just as likely that "the bench" was full of it. I had a play in my GV game last night where the girl picked up her dribble while moving at a pretty good clip. Watching you just knew a travel was coming because there was no way she could not drag her pivot. But she managed to do it. Didn't matter to opponent's "bench", they were already calling for a travel. "The bench" sees what it wants to see, and calls for what they want, not necessarily what actually happened.