Thread: Pregames
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Worst table crew, ever, in twenty-nine years, for a boys varsity game last night. Man, I wish these guys had had a pregame.

1) My partner calls the first foul of the game. He moves to the reporting area and waits for the young man, a high school student wearing a very nice tie, who is the home scorekeeper, to make eye contact with him. The young man is talking to a player on the home bench near the table. After a few seconds, the timekeeper finally elbows the scorekeeper to pay attention, and my partner finally reports the foul.

2) Timekeeper, the home athletic director, never figured out the possession arrow. It was wrong the entire game.

3) Several minutes into the third period. Home team is up by twenty points. Foul count is four against home, one against visitor. During a thirty second timeout, the visiting scorekeeper, a young lady, also a high school student, calls me over to the table and says that there is a problem. She tells me that the home scorer has three fouls on Visitor #33, while she has only two charged to Visitor #33. I tell both scorekeepers to get both the books to match. They can't agree. They start comparing team fouls and personal fouls, in both the first and second half. The time out is now long over. I tell the players to stay near their benches and my partner joins the pow wow. Neither scorekeeper is going to budge on this issue. Home scorekeeper wants to use coaches stat sheet as a backup to his scorebook. I tell him no way, we're going to get this done here at the table. I tell them again to make the scorebooks books match. What I really want to say is, "Look guys, this is a twenty point blowout game. I would bet my house that Home is going to win, even if Visitor #33 has no fouls. Hey you, kid with the tie, can't you just erase Visitor #33's third foul? Why should I believe you have the correct fouls, you weren't even watching my partner when he tried to report a fouls in the first half, you were fooling around with a friend? Your going to win this game no matter how many fouls Visitor #33 has. Hey you, high school girl, can't you just let the winning team's scorekeeper, and, if you haven't figured it out, they are going to win this game, no matter what, have his way and change your scorebook so that Visitor #33 had three fouls. By any chance is Visitor #33 your boyfriend? Are you afraid he's going to foul out? C'mon guys. give me a break." But, of course, I can't say that, it would be unprofessional, so I pretend that I care about the foul disparity, I get the young lady to add a third foul to Visitor #33, and we play on.
Some questions for you, BillyMac:

Why was the timer doing possession arrow, instead of the scorer?

How was table set up?

I am asking about the table setup, as I've gotten into the habit of having the table set up the following way: shot clock operator, scoreboard/timer, official scorer/home book, & visitor book.