View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 12:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation A tale of two officials

Last night I worked a 7th grade boys game, then drove to another school to work a 7th grade girls game. If you think the first game was more fun, you're exactly wrong.

I worked that game with an older guy (and he must be really old for me to consider him an "older guy") who is in only his second year as an official. Where should I start? He never raised his hand on calls despite the fact that I mentioned it to him numerous times, so I had a tough time knowing what his calls were. He used his own mechanics for fouls including pounding his chest with his fist (I still have no idea what those fouls were for, since he didn't verbalize them either). He missed obvious foul calls right in front of him so I had to start calling them no matter where I was on the floor, which meant I had to start watching his area, too. He called at least 20 travels, about 10 of which were actually travels. Both coaches were just plain disgusted with him but their comments never rose to the level of deserving a T. To his credit, he asked me about five times on rule interps, since he didn't know what to do.

Second game, just the opposite. Partner is a long time veteran and a really nice guy, too. Called a great game, communication was great and we had some good dialogue during breaks. 100% opposite of the first game. Oh yeah - it was a blowout, which makes it even better.