View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Ok Ok....now you all have me questioning this call more than I had previously (which is a good thing if I can learn from it). Can we run through the different scenieros for a moment.

Option 1. Assumption his knee extended and W5 didn't travel we have what C has in the video. A block and two shots correct?

Option 2. With the assumption that I was wrong on the "wider than normal" stance or the knee (which I easily could have been) but the assumption that W5 didn't travel, then we just have a no call on a shot correct?

Option 3. A no call on the block, and a travel = a travel

Option 4. A blocking foul, but a travel by W5 after the foul, then we have what Snaq mentioned earlier with a rare situation where because the travel created a non-legal shot attempt we award White the ball on the baseline. Correct?

What would be the proper mechanic for Option 4? Blow, fist, waive off shot, block signal, point baseline then report?
I agree on the first three.
For #4, if the act of shooting begun prior to the foul, but the travel occurred before the release, then you would have a blocking foul and 2FTs. The try would not count because it was not legal. I've called this exactly once in fifteen years of officiating. I elected to signal in this order: 1. fist up for the foul, 2. give the block signal, 3. wave off the shot, 4. pointed to the shooter's feet and signaled a travel, 5. indicated two shots.

I gave the coach of the shooting team a quick verbal explanation after reporting to the table. I simply told him that although his player was fouled in the act of shooting, I couldn't count the basket because the goal wasn't made legally because the kid traveled first. He accepted it and we went ahead with the FTs.

I have to credit this forum for helping me get that one. I would never have been so smooth and confident about it, if I hadn't discussed the situation here before, and known in my mind how to call it.