View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I concur but I've also been told (by whom I don't recall) that I move too much, so I assume there is a happy medium.
As it regards moving, I've heard advice similar to what you have. We can get "happy feet." But that's not a reason not to get the right angle on a play.

Best advice I've heard: Seeing the play is like taking a great photo. The first key to taking a photo is to have the right angle on the shot. That means that as the play starts to develop you have to quickly get to a spot that gives you the angle. Many of us want to do that - and we move.

But the second part of a great photo is to be still when you "take the shot". If you're moving to get a good photo, but then snap the shot when you're moving, what do you get? Blurs. If you get your angle, you then need to "freeze" and watch the play. That gives you an opportunity to see the play develop without any 'distortion' or 'blur'.

It has been great advice for me. It takes some anticipation of where the play is going to be, which direction it is going to head, etc. I will take a quick step up, down, forward, back, etc. when the play is getting started to get where I can have the best view. But then, unless something very unexpected happens, I try to stay still and let the play develop.

Now, sometimes that won't work and it's not a hard-and-fast rule, but trying to get the angle early, then stopping while the play actually happens, works well for me.