View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Sometimes this phenomenon is driven by a desire to be "consistent," when we should be striving to be good.
I had the good fortune of calling with a partner last weekend that I respect greatly and consider him to be one of the best officials in my area. He pregamed this very thing.

In his pregame he went over being consistent in short periods of time. As in, a couple of trips up and down the floor. I can't repeat his eloquent pregame but he basically inferred that there is a need to be consistent from one end to the other in a short period of time but it doesn't translate into calling to your partners level the whole game.

I've thought about it a lot since and I agree with him. If your partner passes on what you think is a foul, you may want to pass on that same contact at the other end on the subsequent trip down. Hopefully, after a few trips when you call that same contact a foul (because you consider it a foul) your partner will do the same thing at the other end and as the game goes on everyone gets closer to the same page.

Poorly worded but I hope the idea is there.