View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Just the opposite for me. I tend to focus harder knowing that we as a crew have a weak link. It actually happened last night, with a very weak partner and the R and I talked about it prior to our pregame. That said, you may find yourself trying to cover his area to compensate for his perceived shortcomings, which I try not to do. Rather than save comments for halftime, at timeouts I may bring up concerns that need to be corrected immediately.

Conversely, I've been with top officials, and on the food chain, I'm the third guy as far as experience goes. I don't ever think I was the weak link however and try and bring my level of officiating up to my partners.

As the sales guy at Best Buy told me "your sound system is only as good as it's weakest link", so it may apply to an officiating crew.
Agree completely, I have a hard time not watching my partners area in two man when I know they are weak. The longer you reff the more you get accustomed to "knowing" where to look for key fouls or violations during common plays. I know watching my partner's area is wrong, but as a crew we are judged as a unit and sometimes game flow can be attained by picking up some of their missed calls. I'm mainly talking about games below HS. In three man HS, I generally will not call a foul in another person's area unless it is dirty.