View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootrgibson View Post
lol...my first day to go through this site, and what do I find? A couple of self important "Professionals" talking down to us mortals... I knnow my 37 years of "High School" and College Umpire work sure can't stand up to you "Professionals". Guess I should have went for the Holy Grail of Class A or AA Baseball instead of working for a living?

As far as kissing butt with ADs and Coaches...you don't have a freaking clue. I might get Regional and State games in the Buckeye State, but it's never been because I kiss any arse....bank it!
Welcome to the site hoot. I'm sure we can learn a lot from your experience.

I must have missed something in this thread. I just re-read each post and I fail to find a single reference to a poster claiming to be a professional. What I see are a couple individuals familiar with why DJ handled the incident as he did suggesting that there are times things are appropriately handled differently in the pros. And I see some others who insist that they way they handle things in the amateurs is the way things should be handle in all of baseball.

I recognize that, at times, the goals are different in game management in pro ball and that consequently professional umpires may do things that amateur neither would, or should. This doesn't make either pro umpire or amateur umpire universally correct, but neither does it make either of them wrong at their particular level.

I'm sure you handle some things at the D-1 conference level differently than someone might at the 12 yr youth level. I believe the same applies to professional umpires handling things differently than how amateur umpires might.

I really don't believe either pro or amateur can claim a "one size fits all" approach.

Again, welcome to the site.