Thread: need advice
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Rep:
I'm in agreement with what has been said by both Nevada and Camron. Listen to what these guys are telling you. I believe you're a somewhat newer official (probably not as new as me..2 yrs.) but the last thing any of us newer, non-certified, non patched, etc. officials should be worrying about are politics and/or what coaches/AD's, fans think of us. We shouldn't be wasting our time on stuff like..."this vet or that vet is horses**t, lazy, an a**kisser etc. We simply have too much to learn about this game. We have too much that we have to work on in our own game....mechanics, game management, positioning, rules application in game situations. (Working on stuff like that could have avoided or at least help you handle the sitch in your game better).
Focus on getting better in these and other areas and in time you'll make the lists, get the plum assignments, and most importantly, have earned the respect of coaches and fellow officials as a strong, solid referee.
Rather than paying attention to refs who feel are "not as good as you" and are getting playoff/big games...pick out one or two refs who you think are outstanding and say to yourself..."I want to be as good as those guys. How do I get there? What do I need to be working on and getting better at?
Hey, I still haven't made my board. When I achieve that goal, I'll still be years away from working the top divisions/teams let alone playoffs. But here's how I look at it, I can work hard and be the best JV ref out there, or be the best board official who hasn't worked a playoff game. Just try to get satisfaction at being the best you can be...and what you can do to get better.
If all you're going to be is a ref who worries about "politics"...hang up the whistle. Just my two cents partner, I do wish you well.