Thread: for Derock
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 27, 2002, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

White hats

For rec games the Commissioner assigns four officials and lists them by position (assigning software requires this), at least one is a varsity qualified official. When I have these games I generally will rotate the positions among the crew for those that want to work other positions. BTW, we all wear black hats for these games. For F/JV the Commissioner assigns a four man crew. If one wants to work as WH then they can ask him to assign him as one for these games. Sometimes I will switch with one of the crew if they want to get some experience. We do F/JV combinations and send five men (four onfield and one timer). The ECO for the F game will be the WH for the JV game and vice versa. On the schedule the HL and LJ will switch from the F to the JV. The U stays the same for both games. For Varsity games, we operate under the crew concept. The Commissioner selects the crew chief (R) and he is a WH until he retires or is removed for other reasons (never has happened to my knowledge). The usual method would be for the official to make his intentions know to the Commissioner that he wants to be a crew chief. When a vancancy opens up (or a new crew needs to be formed) his request will taken into consideration. What criteria the Commissioner uses I don't know; he can take recommendations from other WHs but the final decision is up to him. We currently have 25-26 permanent 5 man crews and probably will form 2-3 more in the next 3-5 years due to new schools being built in our service area.