Thread: for Derock
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 26, 2002, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

In our association, you send in your availability sheets in May and you can specify up to 5 schools you would prefer not to work and your three choices for posistion in order of preference. You will probably not get an R gig until you have a) been there a while b) proven that you're not a complete nitwit c) have done a good enough job so that the assignor can go to a vet and ask him about you and get a positive assessment.

In our chapter, there are a little over 100 'active' officials (those who have come up through the ranks three years, have passed all the tests and graded out sufficiently enough by active officials on the games they worked with them) and there are probably 15 or so consistent white hats. They'll work BJ on occassion or umpire, but they're R's for the most part. It's tought to break into their club, but if you let it be known to the assignor that you wish to R, you will be considered.

I know a lot of guys who have zero desire to referee for various reasons. That's fine. I would rather be in charge, run the game at my pace, and be in a position to respond to coach's concerns than not. If I can't R, I like LJ because you're in constant contact with every other member of the crew and really help move things along.