View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

I am not just a high school umpire. As usual, we see another case of professional umpires who seem to do everything possible to fan the flames. Hands on hips. Two umpires on one person. Coach talking to one umpire and another umpire cuts in front and get's in his face to talk in an animated fashion. Walking TOWARDS the coach was talking in an animated fashion. Folding the arms.

Fail! But these are the kinds of things I see from MANY ex and current professional umpires, during pro, college, and high school games. I also see the situations almost ALWAYS blow up and turn into crapstorms.

This guy could have been dealt with much differently. There is NOTHING that could be discussed for THAT LONG on the field! PERIOD! By them even allowing the guy to carry on that long without ejecting him is a fail! Then to display all the aggresive behavior towards him.

"This is what I got coach". After you explain, it is OVER! There is nothing else to talk about. No further dialog is needed once he asks why and you explain. I tell them it is over. If they keep carrying on, I explain that I am going back to my position. If they are still there when I get to that position, they are gone. Eject if needed and TURN AWAY AND LET YOUR PARTNERS GET HIM OUT OF THE PARK! If he refused to go, get security to take care of it.