View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
You have no idea what may have been going on between Offerman and the umpires throughout the Dominican League playoffs, or throughout the winter league season. Reyburn (I'm guessing here) was the crew chief as he has several years at AAA, and was stepping in as a crew chief (or senior umpire) should, to help out Bradley, who just completed his first year at AAA. Also, keep in mind that winter ball in the Caribbean is a whole different animal that pro ball here in the states. You can take my word for this, or you can ask any past or present MiLB umpire who's worked down there.
So go easy here, and don't be so quick to be critical of how Reyburn handled himself.
Well, I don't have a grasp of winter ball in the Dominican. Nor, I'm certain, do very many of us.

However, a person in a position of authority over anything should not act in a way that is inflammatory in an already tense situation, and that's what that guy did. He had the authority, and he overstepped.

I'm from suburban L.A. We know all about out-of-control authority and guys who constantly overstep theirs. We have two large groups of those guys. One's called the LAPD, and the other's called the L.A. County Sheriffs.