View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
By rule, I see you are correct. That is a tough one to get my head around. I'm not seeing exactly what extra advantage LGP gives the defender.

In the OP, suppose B2 with back to A1 jumps just before A1 hits him. A1 still initiates the contact and B2 just happened to be airborne at the time. Now it is a block because B2 does not have LGP?
B1 is entitled to his spot on the floor - and has vertical protection as well. He's allowed to jump and come back down in that spot. So, again, LGP doesn't factor in.

LGP basically allows a defender to move any direction but towards a ball handler. If contact occurs in the torso while a defender is maintaining LGP, even if he/she is moving at the time of that contact, the responsibility of that contact is on the dribbler.

If, on the other hand, a player without LGP is moving laterally, for example, the contact is the responsibility of the defender. The way I like to think about it is that if both players arrive to a spot simultaneously, a defender with LGP is going to get the call if the contact is in the torso, while a defender without LGP is responsible for contact when simultaneously arriving at a spot.

If one or the other is to a spot first, then LGP doesn't apply.