Thread: Tongue Stud (?)
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 25, 2002, 10:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
[B]Please direct me to ANY legal brief or finding that says an offical is "legally" responsible for this issue.[B]
Tee,pertaining to safety issues,did you read the case directly under the reference that I gave?It is on p7 of that report,too.It concerns a lawsuit where an official was found "legally" responsible for a safety issue.

It concerns a player not wearing protective equipment in a slow-pitch game.Dude got hurt,sued the umpire and got $24,000.Don't you think that that case is in exactly the same vein as what we are talking about?The reference is:

Nash vs. Bureau of Wildwood Crest,N.J. Superior Court,Cape May Co.
Docket No. 16624-77(1983)
"a catcher in a slow-pitch softball recreational game sustained an injury when he was struck in the eye by a softball while catching without wearing a protective mask.The playing rules did not require him to wear a mask.The player sued the umpire alleging that the umpire should have given him his mask and then umpired from behind the pitching mound instead of from behind home plate.The case was settled prior to trialwith the plaintiff receiving $24,000."

Please let me know if that one is pertinent enough for you. Personally,it scares the snot out of me!