View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy
I am table side ball coming up my line fast and under pressure keeping me right on the sideline instead of on the court. Next thing I know, I am looking at the ceiling. My knee collided with the forehead of a very stout two year old girl and I landed in an awkward pile on the floor. Game management in this place did nothing to keep fans from walking down that sideline in front of the benches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The fans in question are out of bounds? Why is the sideline in front of the benches any different than the other sideline?
I need a markerboard so I can just draw this. Usually if there is no nearby action, I am a safe two feet or so onto the court in transition. Around here, the benches seem to be right up on the sideline. In two man, this keeps me from colliding w/ coaches, bench personnel, mascots, etc. since I am having to look to the right or even over my shoulder while I am running, sometimes at a dead sprint (a gear I rarely need in 3 man). In my sitch, team A has secured a turnover at about the 28 foot line, 5 feet in from my sideline. They are (poorly) attempting to turn it into a fastbreak. I have now moved to where my left shoulder is over the sideline due to the action being just a couple feet away. In three man, as they are mucking it up I am sprinting ahead of the action where I can then a. turn and watch, b. have good position if they snap a pass downcourt. I've got the new T behind me coming right up on the action and taking the sideline. I can focus for a second on juking the coach, mascot, etc. to get where I need to be. Too bad this is two man. I need to constantly watch to my right or slightly behind while I am moving WITH the play instead of ahead of it b/c there is no T coming up behind me. Somehow with my Jedi sense I juked and missed the sub at the table (6" between the table and the sideline), the standing coach, the legs sticking out kid on the bench, the 6 year old walking the two year old and holding the popcorn but I was unable to focus my senses to the tricycle motor that only came up to the top of my knee. The fans WERE NOT out of bounds, thus the collision. It was a situation that I AM 100% CONFIDENT would not have ended that way in three man.

I believe two man:

-Results in a poorly officiated game as compared to 3 man, all other factors being equal.

-Leads to more rough play.

-Increases the injury potential for officials and players.

Last edited by biggravy; Wed Jan 13, 2010 at 01:59am.