View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 11:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDog249 View Post
Frankly I like the way IL does it. A few bad ratings from coaches won't kill your rating because your peer votes can balance it out. There are always things you can do to bring your rating up, like going to clinics to try to become better.
The ratings itself are divided by the total number of ratings you get. So it is beneficial to get a rating no matter what it is. The worst thing coaches or (certified) officials can do is not to rate you at all. And this is only 5 points in a 40 point system and as you said the other things you can do to raise this level. It also must be noted that the actual number does not mean anything in the end. You also might be observed and other actions or decision can be made on your behalf. In other words you have to compete against people in your "region" as opposed to someone in another part of your state. I live in the Chicago area, I might have a higher Power Rating than someone in Southern Illinois, but they will go farther in the playoffs because there are not as many officials in that area to compete with. Also I could have a lower Power Rating than someone and go farther than they do in the playoffs because I am following all the procedures (this is just an example) and someone else is not wearing the right uniform or doing the right mechanics. So the actual Power Rating is only a guide for the administrator to have some objective information. That does not mean he/she has to live by that and that they are not capable to make decisions based on other factors.

Peace