View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Here's another question. We're not supposed to, but do any of you talk with the coaches before the game? I'll go introduce myself, but usually my name goes in one ear and out the other and they forget it in the first quarter. I'm designing myself some business cards so coaches will remember my name when that list comes around every summer. I will even in a "notes" section on the back of it so they can say "he sucks" or something like that on the back of it. I got some important JV games coming up (important in that I want to do these teams' Varsity games) so I hope I can get these business cards ready by this Thursday. Trick I learned from a veteran official who has done D-I College games.
I know some officials who do this, as well. Personally, I would prefer that ALL officials would have NFHS/NCAA Business Cards WITH A PICTURE (like most realtors tend to have). I like the idea of a little "Notes" section on the back.

While it is true that a coach MAY give us a low rating (or scratch an official in States where that applies) for making/not making a call, the opposing coach MAY give us a lower rating for NOT making/making said call.

Names are hard to remember for many people. Most coaches can remember a face. First of all, this would put all officials on a level playing field since ALL of us would hand a card to each coach. Secondly, I think it would allow officials to more accurately rate EACH official. Ratings today tend to be by crew since the coach only gets to see a listing of the names of the officials when they go into the system to rate their game officials.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 09:55am.